Thursday, May 3, 2012

Don't ask God to "swiffer" your life, cause He will!!

I had just asked God to root out and remove anyone that He didn't want in my life. And guess what? They stopped calling. They stopped showing up. And the loneliness was deafening. The well of pain was so deep it hurt to breathe. Literally.

It was just a few days, but those days were dark--dark like I'd imagine when the disciples thought that Jesus was gone forever. It was like climbing uphill without any energy or motivation.

Meanwhile, a dear friend called. Out of the blue. (So, God's blue?) My friend had lost both of her parents in the span of less than a year (as well as her grandmother). If that weren't enough, she had faced losing her ability to sing and minister musically as her vocal chords were cut for back surgery. She had gone through such devastating loss.

Although it had been a few years since we had seen each other, God seemed to keep the chords strong between us. The day seemed perfect to finally get together.

My friend is extraordinary. A diamond--beautiful, compassionate, exceptionally talented...with a serious love for Jesus. She, like me, has a young child (and two older kids) as well as a husband that she loves dearly. As we planned a visit, my thoughts were along the line of "God, give me words to say. Inspire me Lord. I don't know how to be there for her."

I felt God saying, "Don't treat her like a Christian music star, but like a sister in Christ." I get that. A star can do no wrong. A star is untouchable and unapproachable. A sister is reachable, touchable, relatable. Hugs and tears and laughter happen between sisters.

What a gift that day turned out to be. I didn't minister to her. I didn't encourage her. SHE MINISTERED TO ME!! She reached in and touched my soul. She grabbed my wounded heart and with God's help, gave it life. Praise God!

We are both treasures out of darkness. We are both examples of God giving beauty for ashes. We are both talented, amazing, light-filled, broken, redeemed, women of God.

God used my friend to give me something that I didn't even know that I'd lost. Hope.

We've always said that we didn't know why God put us together or what He had in store for us, but it's becoming clearer and clearer now. I'm pretty sure that He wants us to remember where we come from so that we can help other women dig out from the wreckage and rubble that comes from living outside of God's will. I also know that He wants us to mention His name at every opportunity.

And why not?

He deserves all of the credit.

No comments:

Post a Comment