Monday, December 10, 2012

Chocolate Chip Cookies from Heaven

I bet you're really good at something.

Maybe it's playing sports or texting super fast or cleaning your room or whittling a piece of balsa wood into an amazing four-poster bed. 

I make these off the hook, melt in your mouth, really crazy good chocolate chip cookies. 

There have been times when hoards of people (OK so maybe not hoards, maybe its closer to one kid on a skateboard) will follow me around at parties, begging for the recipe or at the very least more cookies to stuff in their pockets for later consumption.

One hazy morning found me baking up a very special batch of these cookies for a new friend--a friend that I wanted to impress with my cookie baking skills. I knew that these would be a huge hit, not only for her, for but for her entire household. (Can you sense the humility here? It's borderline embarrassing.)

Fresh out of the oven, I zip-locked the gourmet goodies and carefully put them in a gift bag, ready for delivery.

It was her birthday after all. Man, was she in for a treat!! (And yeah, I fully realize that the horn-blowing is reaching maximum overload, but please indulge my profound big-headedness for just a moment.)

One problem though. When I asked for a good time to drop them off, I never heard back from her.

A day went by and nothing. And the special part? The part I'm not proud of? 

I got mad.

How dare she IGNORE my prize-winning treats of joy? How dare she blow me off? Didn't she know what she was passing up?? 

Not only my sweet delicacies, but my FRIENDSHIP!! (Insert sarcasm here. I can be a tad (ha!) overdramatic. Not to mention self-centered.)

I was so upset that I PRAYED. On my knees, bag of cookies in hand.

"God?? What do I do?"

"Give them to Lisa."

"Lisa? Who's Lisa?"

"At Starbucks. Give them to Lisa."

Shocking.  God was aware of my daily sojourn to my neighborhood Starbucks. 

And so off I went with the cookies.

"Is there a Lisa that works here?" I asked in between making sure that there were plenty of Splendas in my soy latte. 

If there was ANY question that God was involved in this transaction, that notion was IMMEDIATELY dismissed upon hearing the barista's response.

"Lisa? Yes, there is a Lisa here, but she has cancer and she's off right now for chemotherapy."

BAM.

Tears. Chills. Yelling about Jesus right there in Starbucks.

The God of the Universe. The Guy that created sharks and sailboats and sunrises and gravity took time out of His busy schedule to make sure that one of His daughters knew that He was with her in the midst of her pain.

Wow.

That's some serious LOVE, isn't it?





Going through something? God hasn't forgotten you. He sees you, He loves you and He is right by your side. 



Say out loud, based on Isaiah 41:10:

'I will not fear,  for God is with me; I will not anxiously look about,  for He is my God. God will strengthen me, surely He will help me. Surely He will uphold me with His righteous right hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment