Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Are you being TERRORIZED?

Dictionary.com defines the word terrorize in the following way: to fill or overcome with terror; to dominate or coerce by intimidation; to produce widespread fear by acts of violence, as bombings.

If you're like me, the first thing that you probably think about when you hear the verb "terrorize" is some lone ranger killing innocent people in the name of a religion, a belief or in order to cause intimidation to an opposing group or country.

What about the father who terrorizes his children with constant threats of violence and intimidation? Or the mother who constantly promises to beat her children in a very real way if they don't cooperate? How about the parent who comes home drunk and belligerent and so scary that everyone runs for cover as soon as the door opens? Isn't that a form of terrorism?

The Bible is clear on the fact that parents are not to unnecessarily aggravate their children. "Fathers, do not provoke your children, lest they become discouraged." Proverbs 19:11


What about being bullied on a daily basis at school or online? It's all terrorism.


Psalm 138:7 (MSG) reminds us that we can call on God (as well as teachers, authorities, our parents, or someone trustworthy), When I walk into the thick of trouble, keep me alive in the angry turmoil.
With one hand strike my foes, With your other hand save me. Finish what you started in me, God.
Your love is eternal—don't quit on me now.

If you're someone who is forced to deal with a fellow student or parent's anger and coercion and threats on a constant basis, and if as a result, your self-esteem is lower than low, please know that that kind of anger is a sin and that God has a different plan for your life. Talk to your school counselor and tell her what's going on at home. She may be able to direct you to a resource for abused children in your city. You can also talk to your pastor or a trusted parent of a friend. Let somebody know what's going on. (If your parent is the pastor, and he is being abusive, tell someone that you trust.)
 
If you're afraid of doing ANYTHING, start with prayer. God's plan does not involve you having to live in fear.

Pray something like this: "God, please shelter me with your wings. Provide a way out of this hell that I'm in. Lord, open up doors, show me who to talk to, provide refuge for my weary soul. Help me, Lord. Guide me and give me the wisdom and the direction to get help. I bind the spirit of anger that lives in this house. I release God's power for salvation. In Jesus' name. Amen."

Pray Psalm 91 out loud,

"I dwell in the shelter of the Most High
and I will rest in the shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the LORD, “He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust.”

No comments:

Post a Comment