Friday, November 18, 2011

Occupy Facebook

It was with a degree of shock that I witnessed two men arguing, loudly it seemed, about the Occupy Wall Street movement. Accusations flew--one was for the idea, the other against it. 

No, I wasn't in downtown Santa Rosa at City Hall. I was reading a conversation this morning on facebook between a middle-aged grandfather and a young, 20-something college boy. "Conversation" might be generous--it actually seemed like a very heated debate about Occupy Wall Street.

Of course, I read this little barrage from the comfort of my own home, while eating my much anticipated morning toasted Ezekiel English muffin with some seriously tasty vegan buttery spread. Our kitchen was warm from the blast of central heat, the Gypsy Kings played flamenco from my iPhone and my hair was still jacked up and looking very Jon Bon Jovi circa 1986 from a good night's sleep.

Life, at that moment anyway, felt peaceful.

The debate disturbed me because not only was it mean-spirited, but soon others joined in a name-calling fest which ultimately culminated in threats. (Granted, they were threats to remove one another from each other's "friends" list. But still.) Wow. Over a difference of opinion and claims that one couldn't possibly know what he was talking about because he just hadn't had enough life experience.

Let's face it, most of us in the United States haven't known real hardship. We may be hungry, but there are soup kitchens here. We may be stretched financially, but we have churches that have emergency funds (and there's always those cheesy check-cashing loan joints), and government offices that will help us get signed up for food stamps and AFDC (and if that doesn't work, we can always visit food banks...or as my dear friend Karin suggests, "hitting up happy hour, ordering a coke, and getting some of those free chicken wings and cold Swedish meatballs" but I digress...). We have options even when things are bad.

We have a ridiculous amount of freedom in this country and we are seriously blessed. Even my muffin is special--flour less, multi grain, and loaded with crunchy goodness. That ain't happening in quite a few third world countries. (Total side note--have you seen the scrawny chickens running around in Central America?? KFC would have to throw two or three together in some batter to make even one "strip")!

I have no idea what it's like to be so afraid to say anything against my own government because I might be killed.

Seriously. Imagine living in a place where the government watches your every move on Facebook. God forbid you post something that even seems suspect. We have so much freedom in this country.

So. Much. Freedom.

Back to the toast. I took one last bite and headed to my bedroom to spend some quiet time with God before the little guy (and the big guy) woke up. I read Isaiah 22 and this verse stood out to me:

"I will give him the key to the house of David--the highest position in the royal court. He will open doors, and no one will able to shut them; he will close doors and no one will be able to open them."

That's pretty huge. We serve a big God. It reminds me that even though I have no idea what to do with what he puts on my heart to share, He will open doors. He will change lives. He will change destinies.

In the quiet, I ask God what He would have me write about.

"Torture."

"What??? Are you sure??"

Silence.

Grabbing my iPhone, I look up torture.

Amnesty International (www.amnesty.org) defines torture as "the systematic and deliberate infliction of acute pain by one person on another, or on a third person, in order to accomplish the purpose of the former against the will of the latter."

Torture is the act of inflicting severe pain (physical or psychological) as a means of punishment, revenge, forcing information or a confession, or simply as an act of cruelty. Torture is prohibited under international law and the domestic laws of most countries in the 21st century, however Amnesty International reports that some 81 countries currently practice torture, some of them openly.

As I read further, I found that just a few months ago (August 2011), in Syria, 88 people, all males, were killed during detention after being arrested for "civil disobedience" (essentially protesting the government). 10 of these killed as a result of torture were CHILDREN 13 and OVER. Little boys. Maimed, genitalia cut off, eyes gouged, beaten to death.

You don't have to have kids to understand how horrific this is. You don't have to have education to understand the unbelievable pain of having to identify your son's body and having NO ONE to hear your case.

GOD HATES THIS. HATES IT.

Why?

Because He LOVES His children. All of them. Every last one of them. PERIOD. And He wants it to stop.

Every day that I pray and every day that I spend with God, I see more and more what He wants. He LOVES His children desperately--and that includes YOU.

I don't mean to repeat myself, but He sees you, He loves you and He wants to rescue you. You don't have to be in the Middle East. You don't even have to be suffering through physical torture. He wants you to know that He's there for you.

If you're reading this, and you've lost someone to the crime of torture, or you're looking for a family member, or you just want to help, pray. Pray loud. And visit www.amnesty.org. But pray and seek God with all your heart? How? Read the Bible and ask God to show you personally what you need to see. Sometimes it's not about what is written but the spirit behind the Word.

Say out loud, based on Isaiah 22:22:

"He will give me the key to the house of David--the highest position in the royal court. He will open doors, and no one will able to shut them; he will close doors and no one will be able to open them."

Oh, and on the subject of Occupy Wall Street, no matter what your opinion, please be thankful that we live in a country where we have the freedom to protest. Or not. Or both. And thank God.

No comments:

Post a Comment