Friday, December 9, 2011

Hope

Isaiah 40:31(New International Version Bible)  "...but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary,
they will walk and not be faint."


1 Corinthians 13:13 (Aramaic Bible in Plain English) "For there are these three things that endure: Faith, Hope and Love, but the greatest of these is Love."

Dictionary.com defines hope as both a noun: the feeling that what is wanted can be had or that events will turn out for the best AND a verb:
to look forward to with desire and reasonable confidence; to believe, desire, or trust.
 
One thing that I didn't have as a young person was hope. In fact, all that I could see was what was right in front of me--and that wasn't much. Overweight, depressed, somewhat suicidal and picked on at school, my only hope was that junior high would end soon. I spent a lot of time in the school counselor's office, if for nothing else then to get away from my teasing classmates.
 
In retrospect, I can see that it was more than that. I was bored. There, I said it. BORED. Unchallenged, unmotivated, uninspired. With a fairly high IQ and a restless spirit, it took a lot to excite or motivate me. Add in teasing and voila--I was a bummed-out, carb-eating kid. I had no hope.
 
 
 
What I know today is that God sincerely wants His young people to know that they are loved, cherished, and important just as they are. In fact, I believe He is desperate to let His beloved children, middle schoolers, high schoolers and beyond know that He is the solution to their problems. He is their hope.
 
If you are seeking that hope that can only be found in Jesus, say out loud, based on Hebrews 10:23:
 
"Let me hold unswervingly to the hope I profess, for he who promised is faithful."
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment