Sunday, December 11, 2011

Tragedy

I believe that God would want you to know a few important things if you've recently gone through a tragedy--a sudden death of a loved one, a life-altering, impulsive decision; a terrible injury, or a life-threatening illness; perhaps a divorce.

First of all, God sees your pain and He weeps with you.

Second, you're not alone. God is with you every step of the way. He was with you when it happened, He is with you right now, and He'll be with you in the future days to come.

Third, He loves you and He's there to comfort you. Call upon Him often.

Fourth, He will send people to counsel you, to hug you and to cry with you. Watch for them.

Fifth, things will get better. The pain will lessen and with His help, you'll find peace.

Sixth, He understands and can handle your anger towards Him. Go ahead and rage at Him.

Seven, because God has given us all free will, sometimes terrible things happen. He is there in the terrible.

Eight, God wants to heal your broken heart, and He can. Seek Him daily. Pray, read the Bible (ask Him in your prayers for direction on which passage to read), and pray for direction to find a loving, Christ-centered church that you can be a part of.

When you find comforting scripture, read it out loud. You might want to start with a psalm of David that has given comfort to millions of people worldwide, including me.

Read Psalm 23 (NLT) out loud:
The Lord is my shepherd; I have all I need.
He lets me rest in green meadows; he leads me beside peaceful streams.
He renews my strength.
He guides me along right paths,
bringing honor to His name.
Even when I walk through the darkest valley,
I will not be afraid,
For you are close beside me.
Your rod and your staff protect and comfort me.
You prepare a feast for me
In the presence of my enemies.
You honor me by anointing my head with oil.
My cup overflows with blessings.
Surely your goodness and unfailing
Love will pursue me all the days of my life,
And I will live in the house
Of the Lord
Forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment