Friday, December 30, 2011

Give up your Wii!!

The first time that I heard about someone fasting, it was on the live reality show, "Real People" with Sarah Purcell, Byron Allen and John Barbour (1979-1984 NBC Television) . (Does anyone besides me remember that show?) One particular episode featured a guru type guy sitting in a glass box having not eaten or showered for something like a month.


At the time I thought, "Why on earth would anyone give up food for that long? What's the point? And doesn't that container he's sitting in stink by now?"


Later, I would watch the news and hear about people going on "hunger strikes" to protest things like college fee hikes and bad lettuce at the grocery store. I couldn't help but notice that the hunger striker always seemed to block the entrance to a college building or a bank whilst striking. (He didn't want to strike in a park, for example? Or the mall?)


I'm pretty sure that the idea was that by ceasing to enjoy culianary delights at a public level, the starving protester was hoping to motivate someone with clout to change whatever offensive thing was going on. (No one wants someone to starve to death on their watch).


Until about fifteen years ago, didn't really have even a nodding acquaintance with fasting as a way to get closer to God.


I had a relationship with sort of a general "god" but Jesus wasn't really on my radar yet. Sure, I had attended church and had gone to the altar, but I hadn't yet taken the leap from "sure, that whole Jesus concept sounds nice" to "yes, I believe that Jesus lived on this earth and died for me; that He was dead and buried and rose again on the third day and sits on the right hand of the throne of the Father."


I was surrounded at the time by people who either couldn't stay sober or were involved with practicing drug addicts and alcoholics.


My life was, quite frankly, filled with people that were dying and I was dying too--emotionally, mentally and spiritually.


A friend suggested that we do a 21-day fast so that I "could know who I was in Jesus". She may as well have told me that we were going to prick our fingers with toothpicks every day at 5am to find out "who were were in Texas." It didn't make sense to me at all, but I was miserable and desperate for something different.


We replaced a meal or two with a Slim Fast shake each day for several weeks and prayed that simple prayer during those times of hunger, "God, show me who I am in Christ." That was it. (That's something that you can test for yourself, by the way. Pray that prayer daily for 21 days and give up something that you love at least once a day...lattes, a meal, sugar, XBox, Facebook, you get the idea..). Keep a journal and get ready to experience God's love.


You know what's cool? It didn't take 21 days of fasting for me to figure out who I was in Christ. God began to show me almost immediately that I was His daughter, that He loved me and that I was special, worthy and precious to Him. There was a sweetness to my experience, a joy that filled my heart and inexplicable peace. Plus, I found out that I loved the feeling of being hungry, really, for Him.


The idea is to take that time and energy that you normally spend on (fill in the blank) and to focus that energy on pressing into God. Fasting allows you to get closer to God and to find out how much He is in love with you, His son or daughter. You're royalty, clothed in jewels and finery and He has the best for you. Find out what it is. It's worth your time and energy. (You can even go into fasting with a closed mind, and He'll still reveal Himself. Try it, I dare you!!)


You don't have to announce to the world that you're fasting. This is between you and God. Say out loud, based on Matthew 6:17-18:

When I fast, I put oil on my head and wash my face, so that it will not be obvious to others that I am fasting, but only to my Father, who is unseen; and my Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward me.


Health Disclaimer: You should not do a food fast if you're pregnant or breast-feeding; if you're a child or teenager (since you're still growing and developing); if you're a senior citizen; if you're recovering from illness, injury or surgery; if you are underweight; or if you have diabetes, liver disease, kidney disease, heart disease or any other chronic health problem. Always drink water during your fast and ask your doctor if you have any other health concerns.


    No comments:

    Post a Comment